New Tiered Boat Pass to be implemented March 4 at Lake Powell

PAGE, Ariz. – Glen Canyon National Recreation Area is implementing changes to its recreational boat pass fees on Monday, March 4, 2024. New Tiered Boat Pass fees will better align a fee structure that will reflect costs associated with the needs of vessels utilizing Lake Powell.

Currently, the price of a boat pass is based on a flat rate structure of $50 per vessel for an annual pass for one motorized vessel for one calendar year, and $30 for a one-to-seven-day vessel pass. When the new Tiered Boat Pass fees are implemented March 4, boat fees will be based on vessel length. The new funds will be used to address deferred maintenance needs in our many locations that support boaters on Lake Powell.

Public comments were accepted on the proposed Tiered Boat Pass fees from Sept. 6, 2023, through Oct. 6, 2023. An open house was held the evening of Sept. 20, 2023, at the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Park Headquarters in Page, Arizona. Based on public comments received, a separate tier was added for vessel fees for personal watercraft.

The park is currently selling boat passes under the old flat fee rates. Starting March 4, users will need to upgrade to the new rate for any annual passes already sold this year. The cost of that annual boat pass will be credited toward the new rate. Once the park is selling the new passes, all boats in the park will need to ensure they have a new vessel sticker based upon their boat length. Passes will be sold at the park entrance stations and at Park Headquarters. Proof of boat length will need to be shown when purchasing an annual boat pass by way of the vessel's registration. Vessels with an incorrect sticker or no sticker being displayed properly will be in violation of park regulations and may be cited.

The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (FLREA) allows the NPS to collect and retain revenue and requires that fee revenue be used to enhance the visitor experience. At Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, 80% of the money collected stays in the park, and the other 20% is used to benefit parks that do not collect fees. The boat pass fees are for vessels only, and do not include other standard park fees, such as for park entrance, camping, or Commercial Use Authorization (CUA) permits.

For more information about the new Tiered Boat Pass fees, please visit: Fees & Passes - Glen Canyon National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov).


Video News